Atlantic islands. Canary Islands; Notes: The westernmost point where UTC with DST is applied is El Hierro, Canary Islands, Spain. Time used there is 2 hours and 12 minutes ahead of physical time in the summer, making for the greatest discrepancy in the UTC time zone.
- US, Canada, Mexico Time Zones. Atlantic Daylight Time (ADT). Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Central Daylight Time (CDT). Mountain Daylight Time (MDT). Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). Alaska Daylight Time (AKDT). Hawaii Time. Arizona. Saskatoon. New York. Toronto. Mexico City. San Francisco. Chicago. Houston.
- Sunday, May 2, 2021. Showing 24 hour format. UTC – Coordinated Universal Time is the common time standard across the world.
|Atlantic Time Zone|
|07:34, 7 May 2021 AST[refresh]|
08:34, 7 May 2021 ADT[refresh]
|Observance of DST|
|DST is observed in parts of this time zone.|
The Atlantic Time Zone is a geographical region that keeps standard time—called Atlantic Standard Time (AST)—by subtracting four hours from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), resulting in UTC−04:00. During part of the year, some portions of the zone observe daylight saving time, referred to as Atlantic Daylight Time (ADT), by moving their clocks forward one hour to result in UTC−03:00. The clock time in this zone is based on the mean solar time of the 60th meridian west of the Greenwich Observatory.
In Canada, the provinces of New Brunswick,Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island are in this zone, though legally they calculate time specifically as an offset of four hours from Greenwich Mean Time (GMT–4) rather than from UTC. Small portions of Quebec (eastern Côte-Nord and the Magdalen Islands) also observe Atlantic Time. Officially, the entirety of Newfoundland and Labrador observes Newfoundland Standard Time, but in practice Atlantic Time is used in most of Labrador.
No portion of the continental United States currently uses Atlantic Time, although it is used by the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In the 2010s, several U.S. states considered legislation to move from the Eastern Time Zone to Atlantic Standard Time. Any changes must be approved by the United States Department of Transportation and the United States Congress before taking legal effect.
The National Hurricane Center's official advisories typically report AST and UTC when tracking storms in the Caribbean that threaten the U.S., which may confuse the mainland public not familiar with the time zone designation.
- Antigua and Barbuda (no DST)
- Barbados (no DST)
- Brazil, in the following areas:
- Amazonas (except southwestern portion) (no DST)
- Mato Grosso (no DST)
- Mato Grosso do Sul (no DST)
- Rondônia (no DST)
- Roraima (no DST)
- Bolivia (no DST)
- Canada, in the following areas:
- Most of Labrador
- Magdalen Islands, Quebec
- Côte-Nord (east of the 63rd meridian), Quebec (no DST)
- Chile (except Magallanes region and Antarctic territory)
- Dominica (no DST)
- Dominican Republic (no DST)
- France and French overseas collectivities, in the following areas:
- Guadeloupe (no DST)
- Martinique (no DST)
- Saint Barthélemy (no DST)
- Saint-Martin (no DST)
- Greenland, in the following area:
- Grenada (no DST)
- Guyana (no DST)
- Netherlands and Dutch special municipalities, in the following areas:
- Aruba (no DST)
- Bonaire (no DST)
- Curaçao (no DST)
- Saba (no DST)
- Sint Eustatius (no DST)
- Sint Maarten (no DST)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis (no DST)
- Saint Lucia (no DST)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (no DST)
- Trinidad and Tobago (no DST)
- United Kingdom (British Overseas Territories), in the following areas:
- Anguilla (no DST)
- British Virgin Islands (no DST)
- Montserrat (no DST)
- United States, in the following areas:
- Puerto Rico (no DST)
- United States Virgin Islands (no DST)
- Venezuela (no DST)
U.S. states considering a change to Atlantic Standard Time
All six of the New England states in the northeastern U.S., currently in the Eastern Time Zone (with daylight saving time), have considered legislation to shift to UTC−04:00, equivalent to Atlantic Standard Time (with no observance of daylight saving time) or Eastern Daylight Time. Virtually all of this region is west of the theoretical western border of the zone at 67.5°W; only a small portion of Maine lies east of that meridian. A Massachusetts commission concluded in 2017 that the benefits of changing to Atlantic Standard Time year-round would outweigh the disadvantages, provided that a majority of northeastern states made the same change. In May 2017, the Maine Senate approved a change to AST, on the condition that there would be a referendum, and that Massachusetts and New Hampshire decided to make the same switch. Also in 2017, the New Hampshire House of Representatives approved a bill in favor of a regional change, but this was voted down by the state's Senate. Similar bills have been put forward in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
11:00 AM Universal Time to Local Time. Universal Time: 11:00 AM (11:00) Pacific Daylight Time (Local): 4:00 AM (4:00) GMT ( UTC ). Utc time zone.
In 2018, Florida enacted into law the 'Sunshine Protection Act', under which the state would observe daylight saving time year-round. Most of the state would permanently keep Eastern Daylight Time, which is equivalent to Atlantic Standard Time; the state's panhandle region would move to year-round Central Daylight Time / Eastern Standard Time. However, the change cannot take effect until it is passed into federal law by the United States Congress.
- ^'CHAPTER T-6 – Time Definition Act'(PDF). Archived from the original(PDF) on 2008-12-07. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- ^'Time Definition Act'. Archived from the original on 5 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^'RSNL1990 CHAPTER S-23 – STANDARD TIME ACT'. Retrieved 2007-11-16.
- ^'Advisories'. National Hurricane Center.
- ^'Commission: Massachusetts Should Change Time Zones, But Not On Its Own'. November 1, 2017. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- ^ ab'Maine Considers Atlantic Standard Time'. www.timeanddate.com. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- ^'Senate votes down push to switch N.H.'s time zone'. May 11, 2017. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- ^Haigh, Susan (2019-01-15). 'Connecticut bill is latest calling for time zone change'. Providence Journal. Retrieved 2019-09-10.
In Vermont, Democrat Rep. Samuel Young this year has submitted legislation that would establish year-round Eastern daylight saving time.
- ^'Should Florida keep Daylight Saving Time all year? It could happen'. miamiherald. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- ^ abLemongello, Steven. 'Florida's year-round daylight saving time law on hold in Congress'. OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
Time zones in North America
|Time zone||Hours from UTC: Standard time||Hours from UTC: Daylight saving time|
|Hawaii–Aleutian (in Hawaii)||−10||−10|
|Hawaii–Aleutian (parts of Alaska)||−10||−9|
|Pacific (parts of Alaska)||−8||−8|
|Pacific (other states/provinces)||−8||−7|
|Mountain (Arizona, Sonora, Yukon, and Northeastern British Columbia only)||−7||−7|
|Mountain (other states/provinces)||−7||−6|
|Central (other states/provinces)||−6||−5|
|Eastern (parts of Nunavut, Ontario, and the Caribbean)||−5||−5|
|Eastern (other states/provinces)||−5||−4|
|Atlantic (Natashquan River)||−4||−4|
|Atlantic (other states/provinces)||−4||−3|
|Saint Pierre and Miquelon|
and most of Greenland
|07:32, 7 May 2021 UTC±00:00[refresh]|
|Western European Time / Greenwich Mean Time (UTC)|
|Western European Time / Greenwich Mean Time (UTC)|
|Western European Summer Time / British Summer Time / Irish Standard Time (UTC+1)|
|Central European Time (UTC+1)|
|Central European Summer Time (UTC+2)|
|Eastern European Time / Kaliningrad Time (UTC+2)|
|Eastern European Time (UTC+2)|
|Eastern European Summer Time (UTC+3)|
|Moscow Time / Turkey Time (UTC+3)|
|-01:00||Cape Verde Time[a]|
|±00:00||Greenwich Mean Time|
|+03:00||East Africa Time|
bMauritius and the Seychelles are to the east and north-east of Madagascar respectively.
UTC±00:00 is the following time:
- Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the basis for the world's civil time.
- Greenwich Mean Time
- Western European Time
- Azores Summer Time
- Eastern Greenland Summer Time
- Western Sahara Standard Time
As standard time (Northern Hemisphere winter)
Principal cities: London, Dublin, Lisbon
- Portugal (WET)
- United Kingdom (GMT) (including Guernsey, Isle of Man and Jersey)
- Faroe Islands (WET)
Pacific Time To Utc
- Madeira (WET)
- Canary Islands (WET)
Utc Now 24 Hr Format
- The westernmost point where UTC with DST is applied is El Hierro, Canary Islands, Spain (18°00' W). Time used there is 2 hours and 12 minutes ahead of physical time in the summer, making for the greatest discrepancy in the UTC time zone.
- The easternmost settlement where UTC with DST is applied is Lowestoft in Suffolk, East Anglia, UK (at just 1°45' E).
- Note that Ireland uses the term 'standard time' in reference to the summer months and 'winter time' during what the rest of the time zone calls 'standard time'. This is the reverse of the practice of most countries in the EU, but provides the same end results.
- Morocco normally observes UTC+01:00, but the clock is set back one hour during Ramadan. See Time in Morocco for further information.
As daylight saving time (Northern Hemisphere summer)
- Ittoqqortoormiit and surrounding area
- Azores islands
As standard time (all year round)
Principal cities: Accra, Bamako, Dakar
- Burkina Faso
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic(disputed territory)
- São Tomé and Príncipe (since 2018)
- Sierra Leone
- Danmarkshavn and surrounding area
- United Kingdom
4pm Utc To Atlantic Time
- Some bases in Antarctica. See also Time in Antarctica
- The westernmost point where UTC with no DST is applied is Bjargtangar, at the northwest peninsula of Iceland (24°32' W). Time used there is 1 hour and 38 minutes ahead of physical time. This is the greatest deviation from physical time for UTC+00:00 with no DST.
Utc Time Conversion Chart
- ^ abcde'Western European Time'. TimeAndDate.com.
- ^Standard Time (Amendment) Act, 1971 – Schedule 1 Irish Statute Book
- ^'STANDARD TIME ACT, 1968'. Office of the Attorney General, Ireland. Retrieved 29 June 2012.