|Sanjivani: A Medical Boon|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||167|
|Producer||Siddharth P Malhotra|
|Running time||20-22 minutes|
|Production company||Star Plus|
|Original release||16 January 2002 –|
16 March 2005
|Followed by||Dill Mill Gaye|
|Related shows||Sanjivani (2019)|
Sanjivani: A Medical Boon was an Indian medical drama television series that aired on Star Plus from 2002 to 2005. It is touted as the first Indian medical drama.
A sequel series Dill Mill Gaye was premiered on 2007 on Star One and a reboot version named Sanjivani premiered on Star Plus in 12 August 2019.
Wall copy: Looks like tension is mounting in #Sanjivani.To know watch #Sanjivani, Mon-Fri, 7:30pm on StarPlus and Hotstar: http://bit.ly/sanjivani. Star Plus’ Sanjivani 2 will be soon bidding adieu to the fans because of low TRPs. The recent entry of Gaurav Chopra also didn’t help the show much in terms of viewership. Gaurav’s role is of a very positive and selfless person Navratan Singh aka NV. He is paired with Surbhi Chandna.
Securely store, print, and share your favorite photos from the Amazon Photos app. Keep your memories close at hand on devices like Fire TV, Echo Show, and Amazon Fire tablets. Backup your photos to the cloud. Once you save your pics to Amazon Photos you can safely delete them from your device to free up space. Looking for special gifts?
This show is remembered as the first Indian series to discuss on HIV.
Sanjivani narrates a story about four medical interns namely Dr. Juhi Singh, Dr. Rahul Mehra, Dr. Simran Chopra and Dr. Omi Joshi and the trials and tribulations they face to fight a constant battle against diseases and death of patients while balancing their professional and personal life.
- Mohnish Behl as Dr Shashank Gupta, Surgeon, Smriti's husband, Truste of sanjivani.
- Gurdeep Kohli as Dr Juhi Singh-Rahul's wife, CMO of Sanjivani, Surgeon
- Gaurav Chanana / Mihir Mishra as Dr Rahul Mehra, Juhi's husband, Simran's ex-husband, Pediatrician.
- Sanjeet Bedi as Dr Umesh 'Omi' Joshi, HIV Patient.
- Shilpa Kadam / Rupali Ganguly as Dr Simran Chopra, Kamal Chopra's daughter, Rahul's former wife.
- Ketki Dave as Dr. Madhvi Dholakiya, Paediatrician
- Shilpa Shinde as Chitra, Nurse
- Arjun Punj as Dr. Aman / Rajeev Mathur, Juhi's childhood friend
- Iravati Harshe as Dr. Smriti Malhotra, Gynecologist, Shashank's wife
- Madhumalti Kapoor as Biji, Juhi's grandmother
- Shagufta Ali as Tai Ji, Juhi's paying guest owner
- Tarana Raja as Reena, Aman's wife
- Vikram Gokhale as Kamal Chopra, Trustee of Sanjivani, Simran's father
- Sudhanshu Pandey as Vishal Kapoor
- Ashish Chaudhary as Karan
- Smita Bansal aa Neha
- Siddharth Merchant as Chintu
- Rita Bhaduri as Dadi, Rahul's paternal grandmother
- Smita Jaykar / Nandita Puri as Suhasini Mehra, Rahul's mother
- Rajeev Verma - Dr. Yashraj Mehra, Rahul's father, Cardiologist
- Sumeet Raghavan / Vishal Puri as Rajat Mehra, Rahul's brother
- Indrani Haldar as Mrs. Mehta, Accident victim
- Shabbir Ahluwalia as Rohit Rai, Accident victim
- Ankita Bhargava as Anita, Patient's sister-in-law
- Jyotsna Karyekar as Sharda aka Daai Maa, Dr. Shashank's caretaker when he was young
- Sadiya Siddique as Richa Asthana
- Markand Soni as Arman Dr. Shashank Gupta's grandson
Sanjeet Bedi playing Dr. Omi quit the series unhappy with the ongoing story but soon returned in February 2005 for his death sequence when Omi is shown suffering from HIV and dies.
Sequels and remake
It was remade in Bengali as Ekhane Akash Neel on Star Jalsha.
From 2007 to 2010, a sequel series titled, Dill Mill Gayye aired on Star One starring Jennifer Winget and Karan Singh Grover.
Sanjivani 2 Forum
In 2019 another sequel of the series also titled Sanjivani premiered on Star Plus starring Namit Khanna and Surbhi Chandna, with Gurdeep Kohli and Mohnish Bahl reprising their roles from the original series.
The Indian Express stated, 'Sanjivani’s success came from its refreshing storytelling process, script and the performances of the actors. It also had the perfect mix of drama and romance, dollops of emotions and a strange relatability factor that none of the dailies provided during that time.'
Months after launch, in April 2002, it averaged a low rating of 3.75 TVR while in mid October it rose to 4.08 TVR and in late October to 5.59 TVR. Since December, it steadily rose until June 2003 where in December, January, April, May and June 2003 it garnered 5.92, 6.35, 7.3 (both April and May) and 7.8 TVR. In early July it decreased to 6.9 TVR. In first week of September 2003, it garnered 6.8 TVR while the following week it rose to 7.6 TVR. In first week of August it rose to 8.5 TVR. In week 39, it was at fifteenth position with 7.9 TVR while in week 40 of 2003 (week ending 4 October 2003), it garnered its peak rating of 10.1 TVR entering into top 10 programs for the first time occupying sixth position with the character Dr. Aham's death track. On 19 November 2003, it garnered 8.5 TVR.
- ^'Sanjivani lives to be 100'. Indian Television Dot Com. 10 December 2003.
- ^'Will Sanjivani be Star's lifeline for 2002?'. 17 January 2002. Retrieved 11 April 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Star weaves ORS message through 'Sanjivani''. 28 July 2004. Retrieved 11 April 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Star Plus revamps 9-10 pm band to build long term property'. Indian Television dot com.
- ^'Remembering Sanjivani, The Medical Drama That Breathed Life Into TV Shows 17 Years Ago'. Scoop Whoop.
- ^'10 years of Dill Mill Gayye: 5 things that we loved about the show - Television News'. IndiaToday. 18 August 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^DelhiAugust 12, Shweta Keshri New; August 12, 2019UPDATED; Ist, 2019 16:09. 'Exclusive: Sanjivani 2 premieres tonight. Namit Khanna opens up on his character, working with Surbhi Chandna'. India Today.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- ^ ab'Revisiting the original medical drama Sanjivani'. The Indian Express.
- ^'STAR's Sanjivani marks diverse programming'. afaqs!.
- ^'The Sunday Tribune - Spectrum - Television'. www.tribuneindia.com.
- ^'The Sunday Tribune - Spectrum'. www.tribuneindia.com.
- ^'The Sunday Tribune - Spectrum - Television'. www.tribuneindia.com.
- ^'Return of Dr. Omi'. The Tribune. Archived from the original on 30 June 2020.
- ^'Ekhane Akash Neel: Dr. Ujan and Hiya are back again'. Times of India.
- ^'Dill Mill Gayye, Miley Jab Hum Tum, Remix: Television shows that defined every 90's kid's teenage years'. Pinkvilla.
- ^'Surbhi Chandna confirms doing Sanjivani 2, starts shooting with Namit Khanna, Gurdeep Kohli, Mohnish Bahl'. India TV. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- ^'Sanjivani revived'. Tribune India.
- ^ ab''Sanjivani' shoots into top 10 shows'. Indian Television dot com.
- ^'Sanjivani: Doctors in a spin'. Afaqs!.
- ^'From Top 20 to Top 10: Sanjivani closes the gap'. Afaqs!.
- ^'Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi but uski trp thik nahin'. The Economic Times.
Sanjivani 2 September 2019
- Sanjivani at IMDb
Star Plus’ Sanjivani 2 will be soon bidding adieu to the fans because of low TRPs. The recent entry of Gaurav Chopra also didn’t help the show much in terms of viewership. Gaurav’s role is of a very positive and selfless person Navratan Singh aka NV. He is paired with Surbhi Chandna. Many have liked their pairing in the show. Ratan is in love with Ishani. He has been waiting for her love reciprocation since the day he married her three years back. He still hopes that she will accept his love and their marriage some day.
Would you miss Sanjivani 2?
Ratan wants to help Dr. Sid recover so that Ishani gets her answers. He wishes Ishani gets rid of the past baggage. He wants her heart wounds to heal. The show is getting on a dramatic track of Ratan and Ishani’s divorce. Ishani wants a divorce from him to move on in love. Ratan selflessly sacrifices his love. He gives up on his hopes and agrees for fulfilling her wish. The divorce drama will be bring Ratan and Ishani together. Sid plays the third person in their story. Sanjivani 2 will have a closure, with news of show’s Season 3 doing the rounds. Would you miss Star Plus’ Sanjivani 2? Let us know your opinion.