To setup Eclipse to use the JDK you must follow these steps. Download the JDK. First you have to download the JDK from Suns site. Install it and it will save some files to your hard drive. Eclipse Preferences. Go to the Eclipse Preferences - Java - Installed JREs. Eclipse is a java program in itself. It will run even if you just have JRE and not JDK. But the purpose of Eclipse as an IDE is for Java development for which you need JDK (java development kit). The Eclipse Foundation - home to a global community, the Eclipse IDE, Jakarta EE and over 375 open source projects, including runtimes, tools and frameworks. Double-click on your hard drive, and within that, double click on the 'Applications' folder. Drag your eclipse folder from the Desktop into this folder. Inside your eclipse folder is an Eclipse application; its icon is a purple circle with three white stripes. Click the Eclipse icon to launch the IDE.
Maven requires Eclipse using a JDK, i.e. Java Development Kit, instead of a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The main difference is that a JDK also contains a Java Compiler and other tools to develop Java Code, while the JRE is only able to run compiled Java applications.
To check with what Java version (JRE or JDK) Eclipse is running, do the following:
- Open the menu item
Help > About Eclipse. (On the Mac, it’s in the Eclipse-menu, not the Help-menu)
- Click on
- Switch to the tab
- Search for a line that starts with
-vm. The line following it shows which Java binary is used.
Eclipse For J2ee Developers
Depending on the name and location of the used Java binary one can figure out if a JRE or a JDK is used:
- If the path contains “jre” (e.g. as in
C:Program FilesJavajre6binclientjvm.dll) it is a JRE
- If the path contains “jdk” (e.g. as in
C:Program FilesJavajdk1.6.0_31binjavaw.exe) it is a JDK.
If no JDK is used for Eclipse, change it:
- Quit Eclipse if it is running
- Go to the Eclipse installation directory and open the file
eclipse.iniin a text editor.
- Search for the line
Before the line
-vmargs, add two lines:
On the first line, write
On the second line, write the path to your JDK installation (usually something like:
C:Program FilesJavajdk1.6.0_31binjavaw.exeon Windows)
After understanding basic concept of Java (introduction to Java), let us learn how to install Java to your machine.
1. Process to install Java
Uninstall if already any java related software got installed.
- In window machine, Go to Start >
- Click on ‘Control Panel’ > Click on ‘Uninstall a program’ link under ‘Programs’ >
- Select java related install from list > Right click > Click on ‘Uninstall’ link > Uninstalled successfully.
- Goto https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Under ‘Java Platform, Standard Edition’, click on ‘Download’ for required version
Eclipse And Jdk 14
- Click on ‘Accept License Agreement’ radio button.
- Select your OS (i.e. windows) and download installer (dk-8u201-windows-i586.exe).
Install JDK and JRE
- Click on downloaded ‘dk-8u201-windows-i586.exe’.
- By default JDK and JRE will be installed in ‘C:Program FilesJavajdk’ and ‘C:Program FilesJavajre’ respectively.
Note: Before installing, recommended to know more on JDK and JRE and JRE workflow
Check java installed or not in your system
Step 1: Navigate to command prompt. (Start > type ‘CMD’ on search box > Press Enter > command prompt will open)
Step 2: Type ‘cd/’ > press Enter to revert back to C: folder path
Step 3: type ‘java –version’ (Installed java version will be displayed like -> java version “1.8.0_201” on command prompt will be displayed)
It has been confirmed that java is installedsuccessfully.
EclipseLink 64 Bit Development This page details issues surrounding running EclipseLink, or any Java application using JPA or native ORM in an Eclipse IDE environment on 64 bit OS platforms like Windows 7 64, Vista 64, Windows 64 or Linux 64. We will concentrate on Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit edition. The Eclipse Foundation - home to a global community, the Eclipse IDE, Jakarta EE and over 375 open source projects, including runtimes, tools and frameworks. Eclipse SDK 4.14 (64-bit) Overview Eclipse is a Developer Tools application like Balsamiq, FileMaker Pro, and ConEmu from The Eclipse Foundation. It has a simple and basic user interface, and most importantly, it is free to download. Eclipse is an efficient software that is recommended by many Windows PC users. Eclipse ide for java developers windows 64-bit. As you can see, line 1 is of 64-bit Eclipse. It contains x8664 and line 2 is of 32-bit Eclipse. It contains x86. For 32-bit Eclipse only x86 will be present and for 64-bit Eclipse x8664 will be present. Eclipse Classic (64 bit) WinRAR (64-bit).
Note: Above steps mentioned for window platform and please comment if needed steps for other platform too. Also drop a comment if required still more details.
2. Process To Set Environment Variable In Java
What is java environment variable?
Environment variable is a global system variable accessible by all the processes running under the OS.
Why Environment variable path set is required?
If you are saving the Java source file inside the JDK/bin directory, the path is not required to be set because all the tools will be available in the current directory. However, if you have your Java file outside the JDK/bin folder, it is necessary to set the path of JDK. PATH stores a list of directories for searching executable programs.
What if environment variable not set?
Jdk 11 And Eclipse
We get compile errors like,
Error: 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Warning: Theenvironment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used tostore the Git.
How to set environment variable?
- Start > Computer (right click) > Properties > Advance system settings > Click on ‘Advanced tab’ > Environment variables > click on ‘New’ under ‘System variable’ > Write ‘Path’ on Variable name field (if path variable not exist) > paste the jdk bin path on variable value field (C:Program FilesJavajdk11.0.1_131bin)
- Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
3. Process To Install Eclipse
- Click on link https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/
- All eclipse versions will be displayed here
- Select the required eclipse version.
- Here we are selecting version ‘Kepler’ for Window7-32 bit
- Select version depends on your machine.
List Of Eclipse Versions
- Unzip the downloaded file and place the complete folder in required location.
- Open downloaded folder > Open folder Eclipse > Click on ‘Eclipse’ icon to launch Eclipse.
Note: No more installation required for eclipse.
Download Eclipse And Jdk For Windows 10
- Close Welcome window and start work on it.