- 'I am having a problem in installing Avidemux…'
- Avidemux is a free and open-source software for non-linear video editing and transcoding multimedia files. The developers intend it as 'a simple tool for simple video processing tasks' and to allow users 'to do elementary things in a very straightforward way'.
- Avidemux is a free and open source video processing tool. Not only does it convert videos, but it also comes with several useful video editing features that allow you to process the video. Cropping is a practical and frequently used feature that a lot of people would need when processing their videos.
- 'I'm trying to cut an MPG-file and then save it with Avidemux. However, I get the error: Too short. What should I do to fix the video too short error while cutting MPG-file?'
- 'So far no reason, Avidemux has broken. It has worked fine for a long time, and without changing anything. It just doesn't work anymore. Can anybody show me any alternative program similar to Avidemux?'
Avidemux works with most Windows Operating System. Avidemux is a Video Software application like EDIUS Pro, Gamecaster, and Video Splitter from Avidemux Team. It has a simple and basic user interface, and most importantly, it is free to download. Avidemux is an efficient software that is recommended by many Windows PC users.
It is known to all that Avidemux is a free and open-source Video Editing program. There are lots of built-in features and functions you can get from this Video Editing freeware. However, do you really know everything about Avidemux? So if you want to handle Avidemux without problems, then the following tips and tricks are quite important. Yes, this is your complete Avidemux review and tutorial. Just be patient to read and know more about Avidemux in details.
Part 1. Overview of Key Features – What is Avidemux
Avidemux is a Free Video Editor that allows you to complete the basic video and audio customization. In another word, you can get many useful features from Avidemux for free. Well, you can get a complete impression from the following paragraphs.
- Offer multiple filters to cut, join, split, rotate or do other editing activities.
- Wide support of built-in video and audio input and output formats.
- Work on most operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux and BSD.
- Support multi-threading and prioritization settings.
- List all recently opened projects in the recent menu for easy access.
- Get the real-time Video Filter Manager window.
Supported input video formats: 3GP, ASF, AVI, FLV, H263, JPEG, MKV, MP4, MPEG, MPEG4, MPG and OGM.
Supported output video formats: AVI, FLV, M1V, M2V, MKV, MP4, MPEG, MPG, OGM and TS.
Part 2. Avidemux Official Site – Where Can I Download Avidemux
If you head to Avidemux official site, you may find that there is no direct link to access Avidemux download pack. Thus, once you locate the section under the certain operating system, you cannot get a downloaded option directly. To be more specific, you will be leaded to FossHub website before downloading Avidemux. Though there are many versions of Avidemux Video Editor here.
Moreover, you can download Avidemux Mac, Windows or other versions on other download sites as well, such as Softonic (https://avidemux.en.softonic.com/mac), FileHippo (https://filehippo.com/zh/download_avidemux/), Uptodown (https://avidemux.en.uptodown.com/windows), Videohelp (https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviDemux) and more. Just find and download the latest Avidemux Video Editor you need for free.
Part 3. Avidemux Review – How People Think about Avidemux
- Avidemux is widely accepted by almost all operating systems. So there is no incompatibility issue you need to worry.
- It offers the most standard video processing features and some useful presets.
- You can get good encoding options on a clear interface.
- Avidemux does not provide timeline.
- Lack creative effects or transitions for professional customization.
- Need extra codecs to deal with unpopular video and audio files.
Well, you can still get help from many Avidemux members if you have problem using Avidemux, due to its long history. And Avidemux can satisfy your most requirements comparing with other free video editor programs.
Part 4. Avidemux Tutorial – How to Use Avidemux to Trim/Join/Rotate/Convert Video
Step 1 Import video to Avidemux
Get Avidemux download on your computer. Launch Avidemux after its installation. Then click 'Open' from the 'File' drop-down menu. To start with, make sure you are in the 'Copy' mode. It is a good way to save time by using the preexisting video instead of re-encoding the project into a new file.
Step 2 Trim the imported video
Locate the desired frame if you want to trim the video project. Find and click an icon with 'A' inserted on the toolbar. Later, drag the slider smoothly to set the end time. Click the icon besides presented with 'B' to finish the process.
Step 3 Join video with Avidemux
Click 'File' on the top toolbar. Choose 'Append' option from the list. Later, you can find that the total video length will be increased. During this time, you can add video effects. Just click 'Filter' in the left panel. There are many accessible filters including 'Transform', 'Interlacing', 'Colors' and more.
Step 4 Rotate Avidemux video
Well, just head to Avidemux Video Filter Manager after clicking 'Filter'. Choose 'Transform' and scroll down to click 'Rotate' in the main interface. Set how you want to rotate the video with Avidemux, and then click 'OK' and 'Close' to exit the window.
Step 5 Convert video by using Avidemux
To export the Avidemux video, you can click the down arrow under 'Format' in the left panel. Choose the specific output format. Then click 'Save' from the drop-down 'File' menu. Select 'Save Video…' from the submenu. As a result, Avidemux will start to encode the video quickly.
Part 5. Avidemux Alternative - Professional Video Converter You Can Also Try
Though Avidemux is an excellent Video Editor, you cannot get much professional editing tools. Fortunately, Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate is your one-stop choice. You can convert, download, enhance and edit videos and music easily and quickly.
Brief Introductions of Video Converter Ultimate
- Convert video (4K/3D included) and audio over 1000 formats.
- Download online video from YouTube and other popular sites.
- Provide powerful video and audio editing features.
- Enhance video quality, brightness and reduce video shaking.
- Add external subtitle or multi-audio track to your video.
- Provide a real-time preview to monitor every small change instantly.
So you can get twice the result with half of the effort by using this Avidemux alternative, which is Video Converter Ultimate. If you are not sure whether you can get the better experience than Avidemux, you can free download it to have a try right now.
Well, that's all you need of Avidemux tutorial. Leave messages in the comments below or feel free to contact us if you have any doubt.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.6 / 5 (based on 158 votes)
January 20, 2021 14:00 / Posted by Jenny Ryan to Video Editing
- Video Editing Apps for iPhone iPad (Free and Paid)
Wanna the details about video editing Apps for iPhone iPad? Then you come to the right place.
- 10 Best Free Video Editing Software on Mac
This article will introduce you the 10 best free video editor for Mac to edit video on Mac.
- Top 10+ Free Video Editor for Windows 7/8/10
Get Free Video Editor for Windows with the Top 10+ video editing software recommendation.
Avidemux is a free and open source video processing tool. Not only does it convert videos, but it also comes with several useful video editing features that allow you to process the video. Cropping is a practical and frequently used feature that a lot of people would need when processing their videos. In this I would show you how to use Avidemux to crop video. Also, Avidemux is not the only program that can convert and edit videos at the same time. I would also recommend to you a powerful alternative to Avidemux and show you how to use it to crop a video as well.
Part 1: Brief Introduction to Avidemux and Useful Tips
People who make simple video editing work might be quite familiar with Avidemux. As a free video editor, Avidemux has been designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. Avidemux supports many formats, such as AVI, MP4, Matroska, MPEG-2, H.264 and H.265. It does not yet, or only partially supports modern open formats, like Opus, WebM, VP8, VP9 and AV1. It adopts various codecs to guarantee successful video editing and encoding tasks. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
Avidemux is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license. The program was written from scratch by Mean, but code from other people and projects has been used as well. Patches, translations and even bug reports are always welcome.
The below are some tips of Avidemux, which will let you learn more about this free and simple video editor:
1. Besides cropping videos, Avidemux could also help you filter, trim, and cut videos.
2. You could also join videos into one with Avidemux.
3. Rotating video for a special angle of view is available within Avidemux as well.
4. More other things could be done within Avidemux, including resizing, cropping, labeling, color adding, noise removing, etc.
5. HD video files are currently supported by Avidemux as input and output, but not all types of HD files are accepted.
6. You could adjust the output video parameters including frame rate, bit rate, codec, etc.
Avidemux is a wonderful and simple video editor tool for those people who require no premium editing work and would like to spend little time in editing but achieve the goal as well.
Part 2: How to Crop Video in Avidemux
You can do a lot of things with your video using Avidemux, and cropping a video is just one of them. And it's fairly easy to do so. Here's how to use Avidemux to crop a video.
1. Start Avidemux after the installation process. Don't be shocked by its interface. It may look a bit outdated, but it doesn't stop it from being a powerful video editor. Click File>Open or directly drag the video to the interface to import the video you want to crop to the program.
2. The video editing features are called Filters in Avidemux. In order to apply filters on your video you will have to first choose a video codec for the video before getting to the cropping process. You will see an option box under the Video Output label. Click on the box and select a video codec from the drop-down menu.
3. Click Video>Filters from the menu bar at the top. On the following Video Filter Manger window, double-click Crop to open the Crop window.
4. The four boxes on the top are used to decide how many pixels to crop from what direction. Directly enter a value in the box and preview the changes in the preview window below. When you are done cropping the video, click OK and close the Video Filter Manager window.
5. Changes can't be seen on the preview window on the main interface. Click File>Save from the menu bar at the top to save the video to your hard drive.
That's how you can use Avidemux to crop a video. With Avidemux cropping videos could be done with ease.
Part 3: How to Crop a Video with An Alternative to Avidemux
However, as I've mentioned above, Avidemux is not the only option you have to crop a video. Here's another potentially better option to crop a video. Leawo Video Converter is similar to Avidemux regarding functions. It can convert videos and audio files between different formats and it comes with a built-in video editor to help users perform basic video processing. The internal video editor provides people with multiple video editing features, including: trim video length, crop video size, add either image or text watermark, adjust video contrast, brightness and saturation, rotate videos for a special angle of view, remove noise from original video, apply 3D effect, etc. After editing videos, Leawo Video Converter could help you convert the edited videos to 180+ video formats including MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, MKV, WMV, etc. so that you could freely play back the edited videos on any player and device, share online, send to friends, etc.
Here's how to use Leawo Video Converter to crop a video.
Step 1: Launch Leawo Video Converter
The name of the program is a bit tricky as it's not Leawo Video Converter on your computer. The program's been integrated into a software package the company called Prof.Media. Just open it and when you see a Video Converter tab on the interface, click on it to launch Leawo Video Converter.
Step 2: Add source videos
After entering the Convert tab, click the Add Video button to add the videos you want to edit to it. If you've opened the videos in the File Explorer, you can also directly drag them to the interface of the program.
Step 3: Crop video files
Each file will have an Edit button on it for you to get to the video editor. Just click on it to open Video Editor.
Click on the third tab from the top on the left column to open the Crop page.
To crop a video, the most direct way is to adjust the dot frame on the preview window on the left. And the changes can be viewed directly and instantly on the right preview window.
You can also enter values in the boxes below the preview window to crop the video more precisely. There are 6 different patterns provided. Click on one of them and see what it's like in the preview window. You can also use the buttons below the right preview window to flip or rotate the video.
Besides cropping videos, you could also trim video length to get rid of unwanted clip, add image or text watermark to make the video your own patent, adjust video effect, add 3D effect, etc. For detailed operations on how to do these, please refer to how to use Leawo Video Converter to edit a video. After editing video, click the “OK” button to save and exit.
Step 4: Set output format
On the main interface, click the button right before the big green 'Convert' button and then choose 'Change' option on the drop-down panel.
Then, on the popup “Profile” panel, choose output format from either “Format” or “Device” group.
If you need, you could adjust the output profile parameters like video codec, bit rate, aspect ratio, frame rate, audio codec, sample rate, etc. Do these by choosing the 'Edit' option on the drop-down panel after you click the button before the big green 'Convert' button.
Step 5: Set output directory
Now, you need to set output directory to save the output results. Click the big green 'Convert' button and then set output directory in the 'Save to' box.
Step 6: Convert edited videos
Finally, hit the bottom grey 'Convert' button to start converting edited videos to selected video format.
After converting, you could now get your videos cropped. You could then freely make use of the cropped videos in the way you like.
With Leawo Video Converter, you could not only edit videos, but also convert videos between different formats like MKV to MP4, and create 3D movies from common 2D video sources, etc.
Part 4: How to Crop a Video for Free with Free Online Video Cropper
Check the below steps to learn how to crop videos for free online with this online, free video cropper:
1. Open the site video-crop.com.
2. Add your videos. Click the 'Upload your movie' option if you want to crop videos from local drive. Or you could upload video from Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive for cropping if you like.
3. After loading videos, choose the area to crop using white markers and click the 'Transform Video' button.
4. This online, free video cropper would then crop videos for you. After cropping, hit the 'Download Result' button and enjoy.
After downloading, you could then freely use the cropped videos in the way you like.
Part 5: Avidemux vs. Leawo Video Converter vs. Video-Crop.com
What are the differences between Avidemux, Leawo Video Converter and the free online video cropper Video-Crop.com? Which one would meet your needs more? Check the below comparison chart and then you will know the answers yourself. Just choose the one you need.
Leawo Video Converter
Adjust video effect
Add image or text watermark
Add 3D effect
Remove video noise
Play back video/audio
Add subtitles to video
Take screenshots of video
$29.95 for 1-year license, $39.95 for lifetime license
Mac, Windows and Linux
Mac and Windows
Mac, Windows and Linux